ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Macs

1999-07-26 11:16:26
Subject: Re: ADSM and Macs
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:16:26 +0200
Michael,

disaster recovery for Macs is easy (I have done it often enough): simply
take some kind of removable disk (Syquest, ZIP, ...) with enough capacity
and put a minimal version of MacOS (with TCP/IP support) and ADSM on it.
That is all You need to restore Your Mac once You cannot boot from Your
hard disk.

Some tips:
 - Make Yourself familiar with all the kinds of keys You may press during
boot to achive certain effects (e.g. skipping the internal hard disk when
searching for a disk to boot from).
 - Sometimes, the system folder was not recognized after restoring it;
opening the system folder fixed this problem.
 - After disaster recovery, check all Your applications; one application we
have (Novell GroupWise) did not work until we deleted its preferences file
and recreated it (by starting GroupWise); fortunately it seems there is not
too much information stored in the GroupWise preferences file (the main
peace of information seems to be the location of the network drive that
GroupWise uses to locate mails).

HTH - Alfred

>Hi ADSMers,
>
>is there anyone who is able and willing to share some experiences with Apple
>Macs as ADSM Clients? Besides the normal "are there any pitfalls one has to be
>aware of?" I am especially interested in setting up desaster recovery
>procedures
>for the client. Any comments on that?
>
>TIA
>Regards,
>Michael

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at