ADSM-L

SAP Backint high availability

1999-07-26 09:07:36
Subject: SAP Backint high availability
From: "Norback, Jan" <Jan.Norback AT NL.ORIGIN-IT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:07:36 +0200
We are looking at a possible way of increasing the availability of our
SAP/Backint backups if there is a failure of our ADSM server and library.
Our production systems will soon be HACMP between two buildings and we need
a high bandwidth network in any case to be able to do backups after a take
over.

One way would be to create two concurrent backups through Backint to two
different ADSM servers, each one with it's own library. We have been advised
to not do this as the expected load on the SAP system will be twice the
normal backup load. Does anyone of you have any experience with the load
that two concurrent backups will have compared to one backup? I have a hard
time seeing the load being 2 times our current load unless Backint isn't
tuned for this. All systems are high-end AIX systems.

Any other suggestions that would increase the availability regarding
backup/restore? We could always go to HACMP on the ADSM server but that
wouldn't be possible between buildings (the library...) or? (We are already
doing tape copies that is being sent to a vault).

Regards,
Jan Norback
ORIGIN
-IT/TIS-midrange
VA-181, PO-box 218, 5600 MD Eindhoven, The Netherlands
VA-181, PO-box 218, 5600 MD Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Groenewoudseweg 1 5621 BA Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Email: Jan.Norback AT nl.origin-it DOT com
Tel: +31 (0)40-2789089
Mobile: +31 (0)6-25233507
Fax     : +31 40 2783962