ADSM-L

Re: Recovery of Exchange - was: backing up Exchange

1999-07-23 10:13:10
Subject: Re: Recovery of Exchange - was: backing up Exchange
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:13:10 -0400

> Our restores run just slightly slower than the backups, definately not
> double the time, on our RS/6000 (3466 Netstor).  We have had some problems
> with restores, though not really the connect agent's fault.
>
> Recently we had to do a series of restores, and after each one we had to run
> ESEUTIL on the IS before it would start.  The closest we could come in
> determining the problem was that the server we were restoring to was at the
> same level of Exchange, but not the same level of NT, as the server we had
> taken the backup from.  As that server was in use by other apps it was
> impossible to correct, so each restore took about one working day due to the
> length of time it takes to run the utility.  There is some MS doc that
> indicates that the server you are restoring to should be at the same release
> of both NT and Exchange.  We have since set up a server dedicated to
> Exchange restores, and insured that it was at the appropriate levels...still
> had trouble, but different errors.  I have been too busy with other things
> to really investigate these errors, but our past experience has been that we
> can recover, it just might take some time.

What errors did you get with the restore.  I tested the ADSM connect agent
for Exchange several months ago and couldn't get restore to work.  I was
restoring to a server that was at the same release of both NT and Exchange.
The restore ran fine, but the information store would not start.  I was
pressed for time then to meet the 7/1/99 deadline to upgrade all our systems
to Y2K compliant so I didn't investigate it further.  I am about to
revisit the ADSM connect agent.  Does anyone else have problems starting
the information store after a restore?

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399