ADSM-L

Re: SQL select subquery

1999-07-23 05:04:04
Subject: Re: SQL select subquery
From: Geetam Van Der Dussen <geetam AT SCOTPROV.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:04:04 +0100
Dear friends

I believe that the syntax diagram for the SELECT statement in the manuals
has an error in it:
In most flavours of SQL the subquery is part of the 'where' clause, not
part of the 'from' clause. The ADSM manual does give some examples with the
subquery in the 'where' clause.

IBM/Tivoli: please confirm (and if the syntax diagram is correct, can you
please give a few examples with the subquery in the 'from' clause). Thanks.

The manual also states (correctly as far as I can see) that subqueries ARE
supported (NOT supported in ADSM are: union, intersect, except and
correlated subqueries).

Regards
     Geetam

PS. Is anyone doing anything about the digests being screwed up? They are
becoming unreadable.

> Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:08:31 +0200
> From:    Carsten Moldrup <cmoldrup AT CSC DOT DK>
> Subject: Re: Antwort: SQL select subquery
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Doing a HELP SELECT in admin cmd line tells that a subquery is valid.
> I tried with a little more simple sql - with the same result :
>
> adsm> select * from select node_name from nodes
> ANR2904E Unexpected SQL key word token - 'SELECT'.

>          ..............V..........................
>          select * from select node_name from nodes
>
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> adsm>
>
> ...and.........
>
> adsm> select * from (select node_name from nodes)
> ANR2908E Unexpected SQL punctuation token - '('.

>          ..............V............................
>          select * from (select node_name from nodes)
>
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> adsm>
>

> IBM, are select subqueries not valid ???
>
> Regards, Carsten Moldrup

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is confidential and for the use only
of the intended recipient.  If you receive the message in error you are not
entitled to disseminate, copy or use the contents in any way.  In such
circumstances please forward the message back to the sender or contact
Scottish Provident Institution by telephone on 0131 556 9181.

Scottish Provident UK is the marketing name in the UK of The Scottish
Provident Institution, (a mutual life office incorporated by Act of
Parliament registered in Scotland no. Z5).  It is a member of the Scottish
Provident marketing group which also includes Scottish Provident
International Life Assurance Limited (registered in the Isle of Man no.
053002C).  Both companies are regulated by the Personal Investment
Authority.  Scottish Provident Trustees Limited, (registered in Scotland
no. 108046), Scottish Provident Pension Trustees Limited* (registered in
England no. 2404622). Registered Office: 7-11 Melville Street, Edinburgh,
EH3 7YZ. *Registered Office: One Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8HQ.   Head
Office: 6 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 2YA.  Telephone 0131 556 9181