ADSM-L

Re: Any performance gains with Shared Memory

1999-07-20 13:07:43
Subject: Re: Any performance gains with Shared Memory
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:07:43 -0400
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Richard Sims wrote:

// While on the topic of Shared Memory - is it worth using?  Has anyone tried
// a before-and-after and seen any substantial performance gains?
//
// I tried Shared Memory under ADSMv2 and saw no substantial gains.  Worse,
// after 24 hours of operation it caused my server to hang, frozen solid.
// I have had no inclination to try Shared Memory again, and thus was
// wondering if in version 3 there are gains that make it worth using - and
// if it's reliable now.
//       Richard Sims, BU
//

I use shared mem constantly to back up our AFS cell, which runs partially
on Sun servers.  Whereas we use the buta client, and there isn't buta for
Solaris, it makes the most sense to run buta on the ADSM server
(RS/6000 J40) and use the shared mem port.

Even with only 512MB of memory, I have yet to have problems w/ hangs.
Granted, throughput isn't what I'd like to see, but it beats running buta
on a different machine, thereby adding a machine into the trip the data
must take.

I also use shared mem to back up the J40 OS itself, w/o problems.

The server has been up for 49 days, and actually it would be longer than
that had someone not accidentally tripped the circuit breaker! ;)

-
Best regards,
Best regards,
Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                         Systems and Network Engineer |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                 www.clarkson.edu/cis |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu