ADSM-L

Re: selective backup prior to client maintenance?

1999-07-15 13:17:46
Subject: Re: selective backup prior to client maintenance?
From: "L. Scott Emmons" <scotte AT CENTER.USCS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:17:46 -0700
I've often done a similar thing when I know I'm going to have to restore a
large filesystem and want to limit the # of mounts and tape search time.

It's also the standard procedure I use to move filesystems - I do a
selective, then restore it on the new machine. It doesn't take much longer
than a direct copy over NFS (or tar|rsh|tar), and I'm protected if something
bad happens because I know I've got a good backup. It's also contiguous on
tape as described above.

Thanks,
-Scott
    L. Scott Emmons    | CableData R&D Center - El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
Staff Software Engineer|Systems Administration, Systems Development Dept
    (916) 939-6088     |  Views and content are my own, not CableData's