ADSM-L

Re: selective backup prior to client maintenance?

1999-07-15 13:14:42
Subject: Re: selective backup prior to client maintenance?
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:14:42 -0500
We reluctantly employ a selective backup of certain directories on certain
servers in a regular fashion in order to facilitate a slightly quicker
recovery.
The mentality is that you can recover quicker as it is more likely that your
data will be spread out across fewer tapes.

The problem though is that many of our customer can't understand adsm's
incremental forever architecture and insist on the full backup.

In actual fact I doubt whether our this selective strategy will really buy
us much more than 10 or 20mins. If you have a fully automated library
requiring no manual mounts it's probably not worth it at all.

Nathan