ADSM-L

Re: 3590E capacity

1999-07-13 11:35:08
Subject: Re: 3590E capacity
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:35:08 -0400
If your data (or much of your data) is being compressed at the client level,
this is normal.

The ADSM server only reports the number of bytes that it writes to the tape.

If the client compresses the data before sending to the server, then ADSM
will only report the already-compressed figures.  You get little additional
compression going from the server to the tape.

Assume you get EXACTLY 2:1 compression.

If the client sends 40 GB without compressing the data, ADSM will report 40
GB, it will be compressed to 20 GB by the tape hardware, and the tape will
be full.

If the client compresses the 40 GB to 20 GB before sending it to ADSM, the
ADSM server will report 20 GB, it will not get compressed any more by the
tape hardware, and the tape will still be full!