ADSM-L

Re: Using BRMS and ADSM sharing library

1999-07-12 16:10:44
Subject: Re: Using BRMS and ADSM sharing library
From: Leonid Sirotinsky <lsirotinsky AT IAA.GOV DOT IL>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:10:44 +0200
Hi, Jonathan.
Komo savar?

>> Due to administrative problem we won't receive our second 3590/B11 tape
>> drive in a near futur so we have to work with 10 catridge to backup over
200 GB
>> in about a day.

Think about compression on the clients and on the server. You can backup
much more than 200 GB.
200 GB in about day - I didn't understand it. Do you make full backup or
archive every day?
May be you every day move tape cartridges off site and back up new 200 GB?

>> We were recommended to use only BRMS to backup the AS/400 (and
>> after testing it myself, I understand why) ,  ADSM take much more time to
Backup
>> the AS/400.

Do you compare time of ADSM backup and AS/400 native backup?
If you have a results of the comparison - send me them, please.

>> If so, can ADSM still use AUTOMATED Library?

3590 Tape has 3 modes: manual, automatic, random.
The best mode for on-line cartridges usage is random mode, not automatic.
Get it in account.

Best regards,

Leonid Sirotinsky,
AS/400 Systems Administrator,