ADSM-L

Use of Tape Drives on Client

1999-07-07 10:01:56
Subject: Use of Tape Drives on Client
From: Orville Lantto <olantto AT DTREND DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:01:56 GMT
A client asked me if ADSM supports the use of tape drives, by ADSM, on
machines other than the server.  This would be in conjunction with a large
tape library where I see no technical reason why not if the tape drives are
dedicated to ADSM.  This makes good sense to eliminate network bandwidth
problems when backing up large servers, especially periodic archiving or
large database backups.

 An ADSM competitor does support this (Veritos?).

Question, is this a feature ADSM might have in the future?  If, so when?
If not, why not?

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.
11535 K-Tel Drive