ADSM-L

Re: Rename Node / Rename Filespace question

1999-07-03 11:55:38
Subject: Re: Rename Node / Rename Filespace question
From: James Barber <jrbarber AT BKB DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 11:55:38 -0400
     We have done this many times with Novell clients. The data filespaces
     in our case contain a portion of the node name. i.e
     Node Name      FSN001NYC
     Filespace Name V001NYC: NetWare  NTWFS

     We would rename the appropriate filespace(s) to new filespace(s) name (case
           sensitive) then rename the node. As long as size,
           date/time/attributes/rights haven't changed all that should backup
           are the changes..

Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> at INTERNET
Date:    07/02/1999 10:36 AM

It will likely depend on the utilities (and perhaps the care)
with which the data is copied from the old to the new. If they
are able to preserve things like file creation time, ownership,
permissions, etc., then you might be able to do this. We do
similar work when external drives move from one system to
another.

If, however, ADSM sees any difference between the files as they
appeared on the old system and the files as they appear on the
new system, they will be backed up again.

If you have a chance to coordinate with the people doing the data
copy, you may be able to test different scenarios before you do
the actual change.

 -- Tom