ADSM-L

Re: ADSM LOG

1999-07-02 11:32:36
Subject: Re: ADSM LOG
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:32:36 -0500
     Multiple things...

     Your copy group within a management class has its copy serializations
        static
        shared static
        dynamic
        shared dynamic
     So the management class within the domain under which you client is
     assigned has a backup copy group serialization of either static or
     shared static  (ie. it can't change during backup)

     NOW on the client you have your client option of "changingretries"
     which may have a value 0-4, which says if a file changes during backup
     (and the serialization is such that this is not allowed) this is how
     many ADDITIONAL times adsm will try to back up the file.  I believe
     the default is still 4 on the changingretries which yields a total of
     5 attempts to back up the file (without it changing during that event)

     so since you saw a [Sent] on the 1st retry, that means it worked
     then... otherwise you would have seen (if using default
     changingretries) a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (maybe) and if it was still
     changing you would have seen a FAILED message and the scheduled event
     would have listed as FAILED.

     This is a good way to spot things such as "netscape cache" files being
     backed up... once discovered my belief it to just add these puppies to
     the'ol EXCLUDE statements ;-)

     You can find current manuals on the ADSM web site

     Dwight