ADSM-L

Re: tape library management

1999-06-23 10:59:40
Subject: Re: tape library management
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:59:40 -0700
I, too, would advise caution if/when you ultimately pursue this.
We were faced with the same issue when our 3494 rapidly filled
up. Management balked at an additional frame so we began to
remove tapes. It was somewhat more confusing b/c we had two ADSM
servers sharing the 3494, and when we had a tape drive go bad
(the part that reads the cartridge type failed) which rejected
incoming tapes, in the resulting confusion tapes with data from
one server were checked into the library as scratch tapes for the
other server. BAD JUJU!

Having said that, we are now successfully storing tapes in and
outside of the library. You'll have to work out the best method
to choose candidates for outside storage. The last thing you want
to do is spend half your day making trips to the data center to
insert tapes into your "automated" tape library.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation
tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com