ADSM-L

7337 library: device disappears after reboot

1999-06-17 22:13:58
Subject: 7337 library: device disappears after reboot
From: Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:13:58 -0400
M/T:    7025-F40
AIX:    4.3.2

We have a newly installed ADSM/AIX server at the v3.1.2.20 code level with
two libraries attached.  The primary library is an IBM 7337 with two
drives, and the secondary library which we intend to use for the offsite
copypool is a Quantum 2500XT with a single drive.  We are encountering a
problem with ADSM and the 7337. Each time the server is re-booted, the
device definition for the library is lost.  ADSM starts up with the
following errors recorded in the activity log:

ANR8840E Unable to open device /dev/lb0 with error 19.
ANR8440E Initialization failed for SCSI library IBMDLT;
                      will retry in 2 minute(s).

We can manually define the library through smit, and all is well until AIX
is re-started.  At that point, /dev/lb0 disappears and ADSM can no longer
access the library.  In spite of the ADSM Library device disappearing, the
ATAPE device for the library is still defined, and  not
experiending any problems (It can be opened using Tapeutil)

 smc0             04-03-00-6,0     IBM 7337 Tape Medium Changer

The tape drives /dev/mt0 and /dev/mt1 are still defined.  The Quantum
library does not appear to be affected by this problem.

One additional item which may or may not be related:  if we run cfgmgr
manually,  a number of messages referincing the configured tape drives
prefaced by "cfgadsmdd:" appear, followed by the following error message:

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
        device support but are not currently installed.
devices.scsi

I have not been able to locate a device package called devices.scsi to
install in spite of searching through all of the  AIX CDs as well as IBM's
Web.  I found one reference to an APAR which has not been closed (similar
scenarion on a J30), and one reference to devices.scsi in the AIX
documentation as a required image for an lpp_source when configuring NIM
for remote installations.

Running cfgmgr on a similar server acquired at the same time does not
produce the error message.  The other F40 is configured to run Netview, and
does not have any additional tape harware installed/attached.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated...

Ted