ADSM-L

Re: Computer name Change

1999-06-16 14:36:58
Subject: Re: Computer name Change
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:36:58 -0700
betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM writes:
>  Can anyone tell me.......if we change the computer name
>  on a workstation will this cause ADSM to do another full
>  backup the next time it runs?
>
>  Thanks.

Hi Betsy,

If you are talking about a Windows workstation, then the
answer depends on which ADSM client version you are running.

Client version 3.1.0.3 and below: the answer is "No".
Client version 3.1.0.5 and up: the answer is "Yes".

This is because ADSM bases the filespace names on their
respective UNC name. For instance, if your current machine
is "BETSYM" and you have a C: and a D: driver, ADSM
maintains two filespaces:

\\betsym\c$
\\betsym\d$

If you rename BETSYM to BMOIR, then the next time ADSM
runs, it will see these UNC filespaces:

\\bmoir\c$
\\bmoir\d$

So they will be backed up in full.

If you want to avoid the full backups, be sure you rename
the filespaces to the new names before running your first
backup under the new machine name. Example scenario (your
procedure may vary):

1) Last backup for machine BETSYM
2) Stop all ADSM processes/scheduler on BETSYM
3) Rename filespaces to \\bmoir\c$ and bmoir\d$
4) Rename BETSYM machine to BMOIR (probably
   requires a reboot)
5) Restart ADSM

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."