ADSM-L

Re: reclamation

2015-10-04 17:42:38
Subject: Re: reclamation
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Basically, as data becomes old or expired or deleted it is marked for
reclamation,  and when ADSM reclaims tapes (it's sort of a merge/purge
process), the "active" files on a tape are moved to another tape and the old
tape is returned to the scratch pool.  This reclamation process is
determined
by a reclamation threshhold that is set in the stgpool definition - REC=999.

To automate the reclamation process, we drop our reclamation threshhold on
the weekend to rec=10 with an admin schedule.

Define sched schedname type=admin cmd=Update stgpool stgpoolname rec=10.

The reclamation threshold indicates how much reclaimable space a volume must
have before ADSM reclaims the volume.  When it's set to 10, only 10% of a
volume has to be expired, deleted or aged files.  We return the reclamation
threshold to rec=100 during the week so that no reclamation takes place.

More information about how to set up admin schedules and what levels
reclamation thresholds should be set at can be found in the Admin Guide.

Hope this helps.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 06/15/99 07:50:48 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET