ADSM-L

Re: Restored but nothing transferred

1999-06-09 10:52:08
Subject: Re: Restored but nothing transferred
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:52:08 -0400
Gavin, you aren't doing anything wrong.  Check out this apar and
upgrade to the 2.1.0.8 client or a version 3 client.  I thing the file
you are trying to restore is indeed length=0 and can't be restored.
It was sent incorrectly due to this bug.  I have had restores fail like
this too.

--
--------------------------
--------------------------

  Symptom ...... IN INCORROUT         Status ........... CLOSED  OEM
  Severity ................... 1      Date Closed ......... 97/03/28
  Component .......... 565511902      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... AEJ      Fixed Release ............
  Component Name ADSM CLIENTS V2      Special Notice
  Current Target Date ..97/06/24      Flags
  SCP ................... UNIX
  Platform ............ UNIX

  Status Detail: Not Available

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release AE1   : PTF not available yet
  Release AEJ   : PTF not available yet

  Parent APAR:
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  When running the ADSM SunOS level 6 client on SunOS 4.1.3 and
  backups are being written to a disk pool with a nextpool defined
  and a max filesize set to a value other than nolimit, some of
  the files may be backed up directly to the nextpool. In the
  reporting customers case this was a tape pool. A subsequent
  restore of these files when some were in the higher level disk
  pool and some in the next level tape pool failed on the server
  with the following message:
   anr9999d smtrans.c(758): Invalid header size for Object Header.
  We have been able to duplicate this problem in house.

  LOCAL FIX:
  Do not use a value for max filesize in the higher level storage
  pool. Use nolimit.

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: SunOS 4 ADSM client only                     *
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Files can be backed up to tape or not   *
  *                      backed up at all, when they should be   *
  *                      backed up to disk, when the Maximum     *
  *                      Filesize option has been changed from   *
  *                      the default of Nolimit to a value.      *

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  There is a bug in the SunSoft ANSI C Compiler 1.0, that caused
  the compiled ADSM client code to send random values for the
  estimated file size to the ADSM server when backing up a file.
  If the random value was above the maximum file size set for the
  first storage pool on the server (usually disk), the server
  chose the next storage pool (usually tape) to backup the data.
  If the random value was 0, the file would not be backed up.
  The ADSM code has been rewritten to avoid the compiler bug,
  and the correct estimated file size is now sent to the
  ADSM server.

  Please note this problem did not occur on the Solaris clients,
  only on the SunOS 4 client, and only when the Maximum Filesize
  option was changed from the default of Nolimit to a numeric
  value.