ADSM-L

Media management?

1999-06-09 01:06:30
Subject: Media management?
From: Daniel Lawrence <listadsm AT SITA-BFI.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:06:30 +1000
Hi,

We're using ADSM for backups to our 19-tape 3570 Magstar tape library.
I've had to learn everything from scratch so far, and those IBM Redbooks
have come in handy ... although one thing I still don't understand (and
possibly one of the most important) is media management.  That is, when
should I check tapes out of the tape library, and when should I keep them
in there?  Is there any good documentation that might help me out?

Quite often, a tape reclamation will automatically occur when no one is
here, and it will request a tape to be loaded into the library.  Of course,
after 60 minutes and the tape is still not loaded, it will mark the tape as
"unavailable".  The next morning, I change the tape's status to "read-write"
and wait for the next reclamation.  Surely there is a better way of doing
this.

Any tips are welcomed :-)

Regards,
Daniel