ADSM-L

DRM Losing Tapes

1999-06-03 17:27:37
Subject: DRM Losing Tapes
From: Robin Sharpe <robin_sharpe AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:27:37 PDT
Hi ADSMers,

We too have lost tapes with DRM.  We had been constantly running out of
scratches in the library, and ordered more tapes.  The last batch of 50 new
DLT's was used up in about two weeks (ouch)!

When I finally looked into it, I discovered we had lost track of about 30
DLT volumes, some storage pool tapes, some DBB's.  To track it down, I wrote
a little shell script that issues several queries and selects, and lists all
the tapes in these categories:
 - Private volumes in the library
 - Scratch volumes in the library
 - Volumes at the vault
 - Volumes going to the vault (State=COURIER)
 - Volumes coming back on next run (State=COURIERRETRIEVE)
 - Volumes coming back on following run (State=VAULTRETRIEVE)

I've found that using the wildcard in the 'move drm wherest=courierr' gets
us into trouble.  Therefore, we do a 'q drm wherest=courierr', then use the
resulting list to feed into a loop (in a shell script) that asks the
operator if the tape was returned (sometimes the vault people forget).  If
the answer is yes, the script does a 'move drm <volume> tost=onsiter'.  If
no, it is not moved.  This way, any missing volumes will remain in courierr
state, and ADSM keeps track of them.  I then add those tapes that are still
'courierr' to my next vault memo.  This explains the bulk of the missing
tapes.

I still had several missing, and looking into the volume history, saw them
listed with type=stgdelete.  They had been returned, and were in the
library, but the checkin command siad they could not be assigned as
'scratch'.  I did a 'del volh type=stgd tod=today-5', then did another
checkin and it made them scratches!  I thought this was not necessary when
using DRM?!  I'm still confused about whether or not to use 'del volh'.

To add to the confusion, yesterday morning (6/2) we had two tapes on the
retrieve list -- one was a storage pool volume, the other a DBB.  In the
afternoon, the DBB tape disappeared... ADSM has no record of it.  We had
done a 'delete volh type=dbb' (we do it daily), maybe this is the problem.
I'm still scratchin' my head.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs, Wayne NJ