ADSM-L

Re: Excessive 3590 drive cleaning?

1999-06-02 17:39:47
Subject: Re: Excessive 3590 drive cleaning?
From: Jon Dunn <jwd AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:39:47 -0500
Is this error getting logged against all of your drives or one in
particular?  When we've seen this error (usually accompanied by other
tape-related errors in the AIX error log as well as ANR8359E "media fault"
errors in the ADSM console log), it's been due to dirty tape heads on the
3590, and our CE has ended up replacing either the head assembly itself or
a brush that is supposed to clean the heads but seems to get worn down
quickly. (We have probably had the brush or head replaced 6 times over the
past three years on our two 3590 drives.)

We're running firmware 9515 with Atape 4.1.7.0 and atldd 3.2.1.0.

-Jon
---
---
Jon Dunn          Digital Library Program / Library Information Technology
Jon Dunn          Digital Library Program / Library Information Technology
jwd AT indiana DOT edu   Indiana University Bloomington