ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 3.1 for VMESA

1999-05-27 12:11:48
Subject: Re: ADSM 3.1 for VMESA
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:11:48 -0400
RodH wrote, in part..
> For all you diehard VM'ers, ADSM 3.1 will be available
> in June. Looks like it includes all functions except DRM.

    Too bad about DRM ... I would have used the "Stand-alone Disk
    Image Dump and restore" portion. :-(

Putting together my order, I'm a little confused (what's new!). I quote
from pg 8 of announcement 299-126, Supplemental Information:

    "The following client platforms and operating systems supported in
    V2 were not migrated to V3.1 and are not supported in V3.1:"

    (The list includes DOS, Win3.1, Netware 4.01/4.02 and others).

Does this mean I should keep my V2 license, select "single version
charging", and use the existing V2 clients with the V3.1 server? Or
does it mean I can run V2 clients to the V3 server but it's not
supported? Or does it mean those V2 clients will not work with the
V3.1 server?  I'd hate to keep a tiny V2 server running just to keep my
dozen or so (tiny, critical) old operating systems backed up.

Thanks for any help, IBM or beta users,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System