ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log contention

1999-05-20 20:31:11
Subject: Re: Recovery log contention
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:31:11 -0400
The amount of space needed in the recovery log depends on the number of
transactions in flight; the size of the files being backed up really isn't
relevant.

I didn't know it was possible to run effectively with a 12 MB recovery log!
On an AIX ADSM server, we have always used at least 200 MB for the recovery
log, and now that we're using rollforward, the recovery log is up to 2 GB!

(However, we also use 70 GB DLT tapes, which means that a reclaim can
involve MANY MANY transactions, and can be running at the same time as
backups, backupstgpool, and migration, resulting in a LOT of concurrent data
base transactions.)

But Yes, I think your problem can easily be cured by increasing the size of
your recovery log.