ADSM-L

Re: Volume not compatible with drive error.

1999-05-20 08:38:49
Subject: Re: Volume not compatible with drive error.
From: Donald Coleman <coleman AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:38:49 -0400
At 06:01 PM 1999-05-18 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All.
>
>As James suggested I was running dsmlabel from /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin
>and it works okay.
>
>But Now I am getting an error labeling the tape. The drive is defined as
>ADSM device and both the ADSM tape drives (mt0,mt1) and the ADSM library
>(lb0) are available.
>

>The command and the error message are as follows:

># dsmlabel -drive=/dev/mt0,23
>

>ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
>
>ANR9722I Insert a new volume in drive '/dev/mt0', then enter the name
>(1-6
>characters) to be used for its label; or just press ENTER to quit this
>program:
>DSMA01
>ANR9743I Attempting to label volume 'DSMA01' using drive '/dev/mt0'...
>ANR9751E The volume in drive '/dev/mt0' is not compatible with the drive.
>ANR9726E I/O error writing label for volume 'DSMA01' in drive '/dev/mt0'.

  If you are using a 7331 model 305, it will only write on 170m AME Mammoth
data cartriges. We use both Exabyte and IBM tapes.

  Check the type of tapes you are using. The standard 8mm 160m (7 GB) data
cartridge will read on a model 305, but you can't write to it.

  The other thing to note is that if you read a standard 8mm tape on a model
305, you need to clean the drive before you can either read from or write to
a 170m AME Mammoth data cartridge.  Early models also required a power off
reset on the 7331 as well.

   Don Coleman,
   Queen's University Information Technology Services
   Kingston, Ont. Canada  K7L 3N6
   Tel: (613) 533-2034  Fax: (613) 533-2168
   Email: Coleman AT Post.QueensU DOT CA