ADSM-L

Re: Turbo Nways 155Mbps ATM

1999-05-18 00:11:10
Subject: Re: Turbo Nways 155Mbps ATM
From: Grigory Bourov <gburov AT UKER.GAZ DOT RU>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:11:10 +0500
Mahesh Tailor wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> I have an IBM Turbo Nways 155Mbps ATM adapter in my new H50 (running AIX
> 4.3.2) that is going to be used as an ADSM server.  Unfortunately, there is
> EXTREMELY poor documentation as to how to get this adapter to work using
> ELAN's.  Is there anyone out there who has successfully configured one of
> these adapters to work in this type of environment?  If you have, can you
> please tell me how you configured the adapter?  I have been able to create
> an ELAN adapter, but I cannot configure it.  I have called support, but they
> are also at a loss - at least first level is!  Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Mahesh Tailor
> WAN Administrator
> Carilion Health System
> Voice: 540.224.3929
> Fax: 540.224.3954

Hi,

There is a breif description of procedure of adding LANE network
interface (AIX 4.1.5). It seems not to be very friendly, and I agree -
indeed there is almost no documentation on how to get it up and working
with LANE. But if you previosly configured LES, LECS and so on you will
not have any problems with configuration LE clients.

To add LE Client  run smit with path:
smitty-->dev-->communications-->Turboways ATM Adapter-->Services-->ATM
LAN Emulation-->ADD An ATM LE Client-->Add an Ethernet LE Client

Here you  will need at least on of two numbers: ATM address of your LES
or LECS - you should to know one of them before you will be able to
continue procedure.
(It mean  at least one device functioning as LES or LECS/LES must exist
in your environement , if there is no such device  you will not be able
to configure LANE - firstly configure LES)
Also it is useful to define MAXIMUM FRAME SIZE  (as defined on your LES)
it won't work with incorrect frame size.

                                                      [Entry Fields]
  Local LE Client's LAN MAC Address (dotted hex)        []
  Automatic Configuration via LECS
No
    If No, enter the LES ATM Address (dotted hex)       []
    If Yes, enter the LECS ATM Address (dotted hex)     []
  Local ATM Device Name                                 [atm0]
  Emulated LAN Type                                     Ethernet/IEEE
802.3
  Maximum Frame Size                                    Unspecified
  Emulated LAN Name                                     []

Secondly it's useful to change some parameters having defaults values.
(My first time with ATM 155 I was at a lost when observed ATM
performance approximately 5 times slower then Ethernet - the cause was
in value Forward/Backward Peak Rate than was set to 1500 - default, also
it is useful to check this parameter in ATM Adapter's settings ). ARP
Cache size need to be changed in according to size of your network
(quantity of networked computers).

smitty-->......-->Change/Show anATM LE Client

                                                        [Entry Fields]
  LE Client Device Name                                 ent0
  Local LE Client's LAN MAC Address (dotted hex)
[08.00.59.99.85.85]
  Automatic Configuration via LECS                      Yes
    If No, enter the LES ATM Address (dotted hex)       []
    If Yes, enter the LECS ATM Address (dotted hex)
[39.99.99.99.99.99.99.00.00.99.99.01.01.00.04.13.47.58.78.00]
  Local ATM Device Name                                 [atm0]
  Emulated LAN Type
Ethernet/IEEE802.3
  Maximum Frame Size                                    1516
  Emulated LAN Name                                     [LE_NET]
  Control Timeout (seconds)                             [120]
  Maximum Configuration Retries                         [1]
  Data Direct VCC Timeout Period (seconds)              [1200]
  Expected ARP Response Time (seconds)                  [1]
  Maximum Retry LE_ARP_REQUEST Count                 [1]
  ARP Cache Size                                        [256]
  ARP Cache Aging Time (seconds)                        [300]
  Forward Delay Time (seconds)                          [15]
  Flush Timeout (seconds)                               [4]
  Path Switching Delay (seconds)                        [6]
  Connection Completion (Ready) Timer (seconds)         [4]
  Maximum Connection Completion (Ready) Retries      [2]
  Maximum Unknown Frame Time (seconds)                  [1]
  Maximum Unknown Frame Count                           [1]
  Initialization Failsafe Timeout (seconds)             [0]
  Forward/Backward Peak Rate (Kbits/sec)                [155000]
  Maximum Queued Frames                                 [60]
  Apply change to DATABASE only
no

Now  you may add network interface for newly created adapter (virtual).
It worth mentioning that you may have a lot of network interfaces (LE,
CIP, PVC) created on single ATM adapter.
smitty --> Communication Application and Services --> TCP/IP --> Further
Configuration --> Network Interfaces --> Network Interface Selection -->
Add a Network Interface --> Add an Standard Ethernet...

Regards.
Grigory Bourov.......................GAZ, Design & Experimental Div.
Systems Engineer.....................Nizhny Novgorod
e-mail: <gburov AT uker.gaz DOT ru>.........Russia