ADSM-L

Using ADSM Client to migrate data to new Netware Server

1999-05-17 12:39:07
Subject: Using ADSM Client to migrate data to new Netware Server
From: S W Branch <SWBRANC AT PPCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:39:07 -0500
We are migrating our largest Netware 4.11 server to new hardware. We have been
attempting to restore data from the old server backup to the new server, but we
are having an intermittent problem with directories using long file names. We
are using Netware client 3.1.0.6 and server 2.1.0.18 on AIX 4.1.5.  Old server
name is SWE20 and the filespace name is SWE20\DATA: The new server is SWE24 and
the filespace name is SWE24\DATA:

We are have encountered a few isolated instances where the contents of a single
directory on the backup restored as 2 directories (one under the long file name
and the other under the DOS name).
 For example, the path SWE20\DATA:/COMMON/DRAWINGS/STANDARD/DRAWINGS/* has the
following results:

*********As Backed up from Original System *********
STANDARD DRAWINGS (Name Space=Long)  DOS Name=STANDAR0   Backed up by ADSM under
STANDAR0
        OTHER (Name Space=DOS)
                B01j.dwg
                B01k.dwg
         PES (Name Space=DOS)
                25040201.dwg
                25040202.dwg
        IBOM (Name Space=DOS)
               Sibom601.dwg
               Sibmo602.dwg

*********As Restored to New System *********
STANDAR0 (Name Space=DOS)                            DOS NAME=STANDAR0
          OTHER (Name Space=DOS)
                   B01j.dwg
                   B01k.dwg
          PES (Name Space=DOS)
                  25040201.dwg
                  25040202.dwg
STANDARD DRAWINGS (Name Space=Long)  DOS Name=STANDARD            *** This DOS
Name didn't even exist on the         IBOM (Name Space=LONG)  DOS Name= IBOM
source
                 Sibom601.dwg
                 Sibmo602.dwg

I have tried renaming the original file space SWE20\DATA: to SWE24\DATA: and
then restoring as
     dsmc restore -subdir=yes SWE24\DATA:*
Thinking that there may be a problem where the long file name information for
the directory was physically stored on tape after files for the lower level
directories I also backed up SWE20\DATA as the new node with
     dsmc i -node=SWE24 DATA:
and then immediately restored while all the data was still in the disk storage
pool. The results were the same.

The Netware trustee rights have not been restored yet because the new server is
currently in another NDS tree. We wanted to get all the files moved over and
then the weekend of the cutover we had planned to run a utility to copy the
rights over.

In both cases I am trying to maintain the original directory structure.
For what it's worth, I get  a "FILES EXAMINED" message after every 1000 files,
but I do not get a message telling me that the original path is being restored.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum
e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com