ADSM-L

Re: Exploiting Virtualnodename

1999-05-07 16:57:10
Subject: Re: Exploiting Virtualnodename
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:57:10 -0400
I may not understand the problem, but if the client is UNIX you can just use
CRON.

You don't have to set VIRTUALNODENAME if you pass the nodename you want with
the command:

dsmc restore -nodename=othernode -password=blah  fromfilespec tofilespec

Only problem with this is that you tend to end up leaving the passwords
hardcoded into the script.

Instead you can go to client 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and AUTHORIZE client 6 to have
access to a specific file.
Then you can restore it with
dsmc restore -fromnode=client1  fromfilespec tofilespec

without having to pass the passwords.

(A caveat, remember you can only restore files from UNIX clients to UNIX
clients, or INTEL to INTEL, not ANY to ANY.)