ADSM-L

plasmon M104 vs. IBM 3995-C64 device problem

2015-10-04 17:43:35
Subject: plasmon M104 vs. IBM 3995-C64 device problem
From: Melih Bitim [mailto:bitim AT KNIDOS.CC.METU.EDU DOT TR]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi,

We have an Plasmon M-104 Jukebox with two optical drives installed. This
system is as far as I know, the same as the IBM 3995-C64 (Is it ?). We are
trying to configure the jukebox to ADSM. I have been able to define the
drives "opX", but I am not able to define the autochanger/library (lb0)
properly. We are running AIX 4.2.1 and ADSM 2.1.

I patched  ADSM to the latest level available and I am sure about the SCSI
settings.  I tried to install the library as : "ADSM-SCSI-LB scsi ADSM
Library",
but it failed :

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgadsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.
cfgadsmdd: getopt return l
cfgadsmdd: ipl_phase = 4
cfgadsmdd: Configuring device: lb0
cfgadsmdd: ODM initialized and locked
etc...

 Lateron I tried to find some device drivers for  3995 :

         D3995diag.diag             4.2.0.0  COMMITTED  3995-X63 Series
Library
         D3995diag.jbdd             4.3.0.0  COMMITTED  3995-X63 & C Series
Library

After installing this package, (smitty devices -> ADSM devices  ->
                                        ->Library/MediumChanger ->  Add a
Library/MediumChanger
,  the list for drivers at this smit screen became available :

                ADSM-SCSI-LB scsi ADSM Library
                3995-A63     scsi IBM 3995-A63 Optical Disk Library
                3995-063     scsi IBM 3995-063 Optical Disk Library
                ........  etc.

When choosing one of the libraries, smit states that no further actions are
defined. AIX patch infos state that this problem is fixed with latest
ADSM patches. But it still does not work.
Eventually I checked the smit.script log and the ODM and  I was able to
define
the library as /dev/ribmjb0 (device : ibmjb0, should it definitly be lb0)
with the command:
 mkdev -c library  -t '3995-C64' -s 'scsi' -p 'scsi0' -w '6,0'

Afterwards, I tried to configure it to ADSM :

        define library mylibname libtype=scsi device=/dev/ribmjb0

The output is still :
adsm> ANS5100I Session established with server ADSM: AIX-RS/6000
ANR8418E DEFINE LIBRARY:An I/O error occurred while accessing library
MYLIBNAME
ANS5102I Return code 3.

I will be happy if anyone can make  comments about PLASMON's ADSM  device
support or anything we might be missing.

Thanks a lot,

--
Melih Bitim
Melih Bitim