ADSM-L

Re: How to get a list of tapes needed for a restore via SAP R3 backint

1999-05-05 08:26:11
Subject: Re: How to get a list of tapes needed for a restore via SAP R3 backint
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 08:26:11 -0400
IBM developers:  Are you listening?

It would be wonderful to be able to preview a restore so as to preload all the
tapes needed for the restore.  Some of us have servers with libraries too
small
to keep all of a primary storage pool online (e.g., 3570-B11 or -B12).

Would a hairy SQL query do as a workaround?

Rich

At 07:14 PM 5/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Roland...
>
>Rightly or wrongly, ADSM is designed assuming that the primary copy of any
>object is onsite and available in a library or within a resonable period by
>operator loading.  Copy storage pools are the mechanism for offsite storage
>(and media failure insurance).  Thus ADSM was never designed with the
>thought that primary stgpool volumes would be sent offsite.
>
>By sending primary copies of files offsite, you are taking responsibility
>from ADSM for tracking what tapes contain what data.
>
>I'm not saying that what you are doing by sending primary data offsite is
>wrong, it is just outside the parameters of what ADSM was designed for.
>That is why they didn't build a 'preview' operation for data restores from
>primary tape.
>
>Cheers...
>Bruce
>
>Roland Bender wrote:
>
>> Hello to all of you!
>>
>> I face the following problem in our test scenario:
>>
>> We use the backint of SAP R3 to communicate with ADSM.
>> The most recent  backup is available in the 3494 Tape Lib.
>> Older tapes stored offsite.
>>
>> When I start a restore in SAP R3, it gives ADSM the order
>> to provide the tape that is used for the restore.
>>
>> But when I start a restore from the past (maybe three day's
>> ago). ADSM has the tapes not online. Than it gives me a notice
>> in the actlog that I have 60 minutes to check the required
>> tape into the lib. I did that an restart the restore. He used
>> the required tape, but runs to the wall again with the notice
>> in the actlog for the next offsite tape used for this restore.
>>
>> I ask some people who have knowledge of ADSM. They told me that
>> it is not possible to get a list of tape-numbers required for a restore
>> before the restore session started. Is that true? (I can't belive that!)
>>
>> Hope someone can give some better fact's and info's to me.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Roland Bender
>> A IV ITBR JDS AV2
>> Germany
>>
>> PS: Maybe i should verify my concept! ;-)
>>
>> ADSM
>> Abort Disaster Strange Mistake
>
>--
>Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.
>mailto:belrick AT home DOT com
>http://members.home.net/belrick/

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203