ADSM-L

Re: Directory Structures are going to the wrong place.

1999-05-04 11:02:00
Subject: Re: Directory Structures are going to the wrong place.
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:02:00 -0500
     directory "stuff" goes to the management class with the longest
     duration EVEN IF IT IS NOT THE DEFAULT !

     I would guess your "new" management class going to tape has longer
     retention than the default...

Author:  payne (payne AT BERBEE DOT COM) at unix,mime
Date:    5/4/99 9:20 AM

ADSMers,
        We have a very simple installation of ADSM.  First we are using the defa
ult
"Standard" Policy Domain, "Standard" Policy Set, "Standard" Management Class
and "Standard" Backup Copy Group.  The backup copy group in the Standard
Management class pointing to BACKUPPOOL (disk).  At this point if we run a
backup everything goes to disk as it should.  Next we add another management
class called "Tape" to the "Standard" Policy Set.  In the "Tape" management
class we create a backup copy group which points to DLTPOOL1 (tape).  Now
when we run a backup the data goes to disk as it should but the directory
structures are now being rebound and sent to tape.
        During our testing we took everything out of the dsm.opt file except 4
lines needed for communications and the same thing happens.  We also have
more than enough disk space so we are not reaching our thresholds.  We
verified our thresholds.  Also we were on a support call with ADSM support
yesterday for 4 hours.  They helped us rule out almost everything but they
didn't seem to believe we were having this problem.  Not that I blame them
because it is a mystery to me why this is happening.
        If you want to try and recreate this please do the following:
1) Create a new Policy domain and Policy set.
2) In the new Policy set create a management class and backup copy group
pointing to disk.
3) Register a node to that Policy domain.
4) do a q occ on that node to see where it currently has files and how many
are there (this is key).
5) run a backup
6) do another q occ on that node.  All that should have increased is the
occupancy on disk.
7) now add another management class and copy group pointing to tape.  Make
sure it is not the default.
8) run another backup
9) do yet another q occ. Did the occupancy on tape increase?  If yes then
this is a problem.

        In our case we have ADSM server on NT and AIX.  In both cases where this
happened to us we had NT clients one workstation and one server.  We are not
sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not.

Thanks,
        Kyle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyle Payne
Berbee Information Networks Corp.
4000 W. Spencer Street
Appleton WI, 54914
payne AT berbee DOT com        - e-mail
pgpayne AT berbee DOT com      - pager e-mail
(920) 586-3014          - pager
(920) 450-0413          - cell
(920) 997-9420 x.46     - work