ADSM-L

Re: Backup of NT-Files for which Administrator does not have R/W rights

1999-05-03 10:34:30
Subject: Re: Backup of NT-Files for which Administrator does not have R/W rights
From: "Dr. Michael Bruewer" <bruewer AT UNI-HOHENHEIM DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 16:34:30 +0200
> Imagine that a user withdraws administrator read/write rights from his own
> files
> (so that
> he allone is the only user who has any rights to his files). Does ADSM backup
> and restore thos files or not? I think a professional backup tools like ADSM
> should
> do so but what is the reality?

This is not so much a question of a "professional" backup tool but of the file
system and the operating system. One could contradict that in a "professional"
system if a user denies adminstrator any rights on his/her data, why should the
administrator be able to read the data anyhow? I think for example for the
purpose of backup this should be possible, but not by special system-rights
but by means of changing ACLs. Then the user can see what has happened e. g. in
the NT Security Log.

A feature I am really missing in the context of ADSM as a professional system
is data encryption.

Regards,

Michael Bruewer

----
Dr. Michael Br"uwer
Dr. Michael Br"uwer
RZ der Univ. Hohenheim     70593 Stuttgart
bruewer AT uni-hohenheim DOT de   www.uni-hohenheim.de/~bruewer
Fon: +49-711-459-3838      Fax: -3449
PGP Public Key:
   RSA: http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/~bruewer/pgpkey_V2