ADSM-L

Backing up a Notes shared mail database?

1999-05-03 05:25:23
Subject: Backing up a Notes shared mail database?
From: "C. Lopez" <carlos_lopezm AT IECI DOT ES>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 11:25:23 +0200
Hi all:

This is a question about a Notes server with shared mail activated.

Shared mail is a functionallity to reduce the space needed to store a
message sent to several recipients. Every user's mailbox just keeps a
reference to the body of the message. The body of the message resides in
the shared mail database. (In this way, when you send a Christmas greetings
message to all of your work colleages you will not fill up the space of
your Notes server ;-)

My question is:
If you make a backup with Notes Agent of a user's mailbox, are you saving
the header plus a reference to the shared mail database, or the full
message?
I think this is an important question regarding the restore of a database.
If you save just a reference to shared mail, this shared database gets
absolutelly critical, in the restore process. Now it is far too critical
for my taste, without recovery considerations.

I hope ADSM developers can confirm the details of this process.

Yours, faithfully.

Carlos Lopez
Systems and Neworks Management
Informatica El Corte Ingles