ADSM-L

Re: Large restores (again)

1999-04-28 01:43:32
Subject: Re: Large restores (again)
From: peter jodda <oelsburg AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:43:32 PDT
>I'm seeing ADSM restores of large filesystems (750,000 files) get CPU
bound
>on the client side (DU 4.0D client, ADSM v3.1.06).  I think it's the
same
>problem that's been talked about several times before - once about
100,000
>files arrive back on the client, things slow *way* down, though the
server
>is not busy.  Throughput goes from 400Kb/s at the beginning to a
paltry
>50-70 Kb/s as more files are restored, and the CPU is running 70%
busy
>(doing nothing else).

Couldn't this be a problem of the operating system or the underlaying
filesystem. I once created a directory with 70000 files in it.
Even a ls took over a minute, before any characters appeared on the
screen. As far as I know, the files in a directory are linked in a
linear list. So adding one file will lead to a scan of this list.
This is a quadratic effort O(n^2).
Because ADSM is above that filesystem, it has to wait, until the
filesystem operations are ready.

How much files are in one directory?