ADSM-L

Re: NT client multiple concurrent scheduled backups

1999-04-27 17:40:23
Subject: Re: NT client multiple concurrent scheduled backups
From: Kenneth Sparks <ken_x_sparks AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:40:23 -0500
     Why do you need three schedulers running.  One should handle it if the
     time between the schedules is greater than the contact server time.
     Why not just do one schedule to get all the filesystems?

     Kenneth

Author:  jbassi (jbassi AT GLORYWORKS DOT COM) at unix,mime
Date:    4/27/99 3:07 PM

ADSMers,

What is the best way to schedule multiple, concurrent backups on an NT
client?

On the server I have 3 scheduled incremental backups of different
directories launching at 9:00, 9:05, and 9:10.  Randomization is set to zero
and maxscheduledsessions is 12; nothing is going happening on the ADSM
server.

I manually started 3 "dsmc sched"s from the command prompt.  I started out
using the NAMEDPIPE communication method, but then switched to TCP/IP
because NAMEDPIPE doesn't support a SCHEDMODE of server PROMPTED.  But even
with a TCP/IP and a SCHEDMODE of server PROMPTED, it didn't work.  I then
tried to provide each scheduler with it's own port.  So I setup 3 option
files and pointed each "dsmc sched -optfile=file" to it's own opt file which
had a different TCPCLIENTPORT set.

As I watch the schedulers in the foreground,  I see that they all contact
the server and are delivered the same schedule name (the first one).  Then,
even though they are all server PROMPTED, they all initially start to run
that first schedule.  But only the first one blazes thought the directory I
am running an incremental one and the other two just get started backing up
the first file and just sit there.

What am I missing?

NT 4.0 SP4 ADSM server 3.1.2.20
NT 4.0 SP4 ADSM client 3.1.0.6

Joshua Bassi                          E-mail:        jbassi AT gloryworks DOT
com
Joshua Bassi                          E-mail:        jbassi AT gloryworks DOT
com
Storage Management Team Lead          Cellular/VM:   (408) 836-7147
Dickens Services Group                Internet:      www.TeamDSG.com