ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and MS Exchange

1999-04-23 14:58:26
Subject: Re: ADSM and MS Exchange
From: "Pita, Gene" <PitaG AT NABISCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:58:26 -0400
Here's some info that might help you.

            IBM ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server

                    Version 1 Release 1 Level 0.0B

                             README.FTP

                 (c) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1999

**
* Fixtest 1B,     IC22589: A new command has been written for the
*                          command line that will allow the deletion
*                          of Exchange backup objects based on how old
*                          a backup object is.  This command can be
*                          scheduled to provide automatic deletion of
*                          backup objects.
*
*                          This fixtest also includes a change to correct a
*                          situation where a read error during a backup may
*                          not be properly handled and can lead to a hang.
*
* Additional Information : This software has not been fully system
*                          tested with the Fixtest code.
**

**
IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!
**

   Fixtext 1B -  The following describes the new command and its
                 syntax and any messages that have been added.

   EXCDSMC /ADSMAUTODELETE
   -----------------------

   Use this command to delete Exchange database backup objects from ADSM
   storage based on how old a backup object is.  This command works on
objects
   backed up from the local server only.

   Syntax
   ------

   >>-EXCDSMC----------------------------------------------------->

   >----/ADSMAUTODELete:--dbtype---------------------------------->

   >----/IFOLDer:--n---------------------------------------------->

   >----+-----------------------+---+----------------------+------>
        '-/ADSMNODe:--nodename--'   '-/ADSMPWD:--password--'

   >----+-------------------------------------+------------------->
        |                .--dsm.opt--------.  |
        '-/ADSMOPTFile:--+-optionsfile.opt-+--'

   >----+-----------------------------+--------------------------><
        |            .-excdsm.log--.  |
        '-/LOGFile:--+-logfilename-+--'

   Parameters
   ----------

   /ADSMAUTODELete:dbtype
       dbtype refers to the type of Exchange database to delete.  This
       parameter can be:

          DIR     Exchange Directory Database
          IS      Exchange Information Store Database

       You may run this command against all types of Exchange databases
       by using the '*'.

   /IFOLDer:n
       n represents the number of days for which database backup objects
       are to be kept.  Database backups that are older than "today - n"
       will be deleted.  n must be an integer in the range from 0 to 9999.
       If n is 0, then all backup objects for the specified database
       will be deleted.  This parameter MUST be specified.

       Note:  If a full or copy backup object is deleted, then any
subsequent
              incremental and differential backup objects associated with
that
              backup are deleted.

   /ADSMNODe:nodename
       nodename refers to the ADSM node name the Exchange Agent uses to
logon
       to the ADSM server.  You can also store the node name in the options
       file.  The command line parameter overrides the value in the options
       file.

       Note:  /ADSMNODe cannot be used if Generate Password is in effect.
              The nodename must be specified in the options file.
              Generate Password is specified by either checking the
              Generate Password check box while modifying your options
              file using the Exchange Agent options editor, or by adding
              the PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE option to your options file.

   /ADSMPWD:password
       password refers to the ADSM password the Exchange Agent uses to logon
       to the ADSM server.  If Generate Password is in effect, then the
       password need not be provided here because the one stored in the
       registry is used.  If you do specify the password on the command
       line when Generate Password is in effect, then the command line
       value is ignored unless the password for this node has not yet
       been stored in the registry.  In that case, the specified password
       is the one that is stored in the registry and used for the current
       command execution.

       If Generate Password is not in effect and a password value is
       specified in the options file, the value specified on the command
       line overrides the value in the options file.

       Note: Storing the password in the options file is not recommended.

       If Generate Password is not in effect, and a password value is not
       specified in the options file or on the command line, then you are
       prompted for a password.

       Generate Password is specified by either checking the Generate
       Password check box while modifying your options file using the
       Exchange Agent options editor, or by adding the
       PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE option to your options file.

  /ADSMOPTFile:optionsfile.opt
       optionsfile.opt refers to the ADSM options file to use.  This is
       similar to selecting an ADSM server from the server list in the GUI.

       The options file name must have an extension of .opt.  If the
       specified name does not end with the .opt extension, the extension
       is appended to the name when determining the actual options file
       name.

       The file name can include a fully qualified path name.  If no path
       is specified, it is assumed that the file is in the agent's
       installation directory.

       The default is dsm.opt.

  /LOGFile:logfilename
       logfilename identifies the name to be used for the activity log
       generated by the Exchange Agent.  The log file name is used only for
       this command run, and does not update the default log file that
       is stored in the registry.  If the specified file does not exist,
       it is created.  If it does exist, new log entries are appended to
       the file.  The file name can include a fully-qualified path.
       However, if no path is specified, the file is written to the
       directory where the Exchange Agent is installed.  The Exchange Agent
       does not prune this file.  You should periodically prune this log
       file to keep it from getting too large.

       You cannot turn logging off.  If this option is not specified, log
       records are written to the default log file.  The default log
       file is excdsm.log.

   Examples
   --------

   This example deletes all of the database objects that are older
   than 4 days.

   excdsmc /adsmautodelete:* /ifolder:4

   ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
   ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
   Command Line Interface - Version 1, Release 1, Level 0.0
   (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1998. All rights reserved.

   ***FIXTEST - Version 1.1.0.0B

   ADSM API Version 3, Release 1, Level 3
   ADSM Nodename: deniseexc

   License file exists and contains valid license data.

   Logging on to the ADSM server...

   Attempting to delete backup object(s) from ADSM...
      Database Name  : *
      Retention Days : 4

   List of Databases and Objects Deleted
   -------------------------------------

      Database: DIR, Object Name : 19990221154547.FULL
      Database: DIR, Object Name : 19990221160147.INCR
      Database: DIR, Object Name : 19990221170435.COPY
      Database: IS, Object Name : 19990221154559.FULL
      Database: IS, Object Name : 19990221160223.INCR
      Database: IS, Object Name : 19990221170520.COPY

   Results: 6 backup object(s) of 54 examined were deleted.

   Messages
   --------

   There has been a new message added.  The following details the message.

   Message      : The /IFOLDer option needs to be specified when issuing
                  the /ADSMAUTODELete command.

   Explanation  : This option needs to be entered for the /ADSMAUTODELete
                  command.

   System Action: Processing ends.

   User Response: Re-enter the command specifying the /IFOLDer option.

**
IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!   IMPORTANT!
**

Installation instructions:
  - Download the IC22589B.EXE file in "binary" format.
  - Download the IC22589B.EXE file in "binary" format.

  - Run the IC22589B.EXE file.  It is a self-extracting install file.