ADSM-L

Re: System performance issues with Novell

1999-04-22 20:15:05
Subject: Re: System performance issues with Novell
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:15:05 +1200
> I am running ADSM on Novell, NT and Sun solaris . I am experiencing
> some serious performance issues on NOVELL and NT. The performance on
> NOVELL is very very poor. Does any one have a clue ?

One for bad backup performance on Novell clients:

On the ADSM server side, run "query db format=detail" and check the
"Cache Hit Pct" line.  If it is under 98%, you need to increase the
number of database buffers in the ADSM server.

See the Performance Tuning Guide for some guidelines:

  http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/adsm/pfguide/tgv31mst.htm

In the list archives there will be a explanation from me on database
buffers vs Novell and why insufficent database buffers affect Novell
performance first.

I can repost this privately (or publicly) if asked ;)

This may not be the only reason you are getting bad performance.
Looking at what else is running on the Netware client at the time,
network usage, other ADSM server activity needs to be done as well.

Russell