ADSM-L

Re: Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume

1999-04-22 15:31:35
Subject: Re: Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume
From: Mark Wheeler <mlwheeler AT MMM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:31:35 -0500
*** Resending note of 04/22/99 14:02
From: Mark L. Wheeler    Phone (651)733-4355  FAX (651)736-7689
      3M IT Centralized Tech Services
      3M Center 224-4N-20, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000

> Now I'm really scared. We have an 8 GB database and I can't possibly
> have the server down that long. This is our most active server. I can't
> start this thing until I have a clearer idea of how long it's going to
> take. The VM ADSM server administrator here thought it would take about
> 2 days...

I recently had to run an AUDITDB on one of my ADSM/VM V2 servers.
   Total DB size     9,360 MB (4 RAMAC-2 3338-cylinder volumes)
   % Used               75 %
   Pages Used          1.8 million
   Files stored         12 million (per "Q OCCUPANCY")
   Processor      9672-R35
   AUDITDB run time     60 hours

As the AUDITDB executes, you'll see periodic "objects processed". In my
case it processed 98 million objects at a fairly consistent rate of about
1.5 million objects per hour. At the time I had no idea how many "objects"
would ultimately be processed, but in hindsight it worked out to about 8
"objects" per file stored. Your mileage may vary.