ADSM-L

Re: Internal error LOGSEG871

1999-04-21 10:22:43
Subject: Re: Internal error LOGSEG871
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:22:43 -0400
On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Richard Sims wrote:
> Steve - The way that I approach DB backups is to run them daily: a full backup
>         at 23:00, before the nightly backup cycle; and an incremental in the
> morning after the backups complete but before first shift begins.  The
> incrementals are fast and so not intrusive, so could readily be performed more
> often if needed.  I should think you'd be able to do something similar to
> periodically reset your Recovery Log and thus live happily with Roll-Forward,
> avoiding triggered backups.

Yes, this would work, if it didn't take 3-4 hours for a full.  My DB is
45GB (8.2 million pages).  A triggered incremental of 4-5GB worth of log
entires can take a long time when clients are backing up.  I would have to
run an incremental just before backups, and then perhaps another one after
backups (before migration/copy pool/expiration).  I have a 7-tape DLT
stacker for DBBackups, and then managing the tapes in it becomes an
operational issue.  If the Log could be larger, so I only had to run one
dbbackup/day, things work our more nicely....

In a perfect world....

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,