ADSM-L

Re: ADSM API; admin client questions

1999-04-20 18:00:20
Subject: Re: ADSM API; admin client questions
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:00:20 +1200
> Both the ADSM API and the X/Open API do not contain the capability to
> do administrative tasks.  Does anyone know of a better interface to commands
> that require System Privilege than the 'dsmadmc' command?

I found the output becomes much more managable if you use the
'-commadelimited' (or -tabdelimited) option to dsmadmc.

Using the "select" command instead of the query commands gives you
much finer control over the information you get back and insulates you
from [some] changes between versions.

> Along the same vein, does anyone know if command strings entered into the
> administrative command line client are encrypted before being sent to the
> server?

The passwords are encryped.  The commands and their results travel in clear.

You can use ssh and its port forwarding mode to set up an encryped
tunnel between your ADSM client and server if you try hard enough.
You can also use that for backups.

A definitive answer on password exchange can be found the FAQ on the
ADSM web site.

Russell