ADSM-L

Re: ADSM on AIX _ database recovery task

1999-04-20 17:04:10
Subject: Re: ADSM on AIX _ database recovery task
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:04:10 -0400
I've done it from scratch on AIX, and the rule about size is the same:
The new LOG and DB must be at least as large as the old ones for the RESTORE
DB to work.

Regarding steps, I think it the steps are different depending on whether the
db and log are "corrupt" or "lost".

If you are just reloading the log and db volumes with the RESTORE DB (say to
put your data base back to an earlier level), nothing else is necessary
because your dsmserv.dsk file is still intact and that is where the db and
log volumes are defined.
(I think the name is slightly different on MVS, but the name is in the MVS
start proc.)  ADSM looks in the dsmserv.dsk file when it starts to find the
data base and log.  If the information there is not correct, it can't even
find the DB, must less restore it.

If you are in an entirely new environment, say on new hardware in a DR site,
and you have just created your db and log volumes with dsmfmt, THEN you have
to run DSMSERV FORMAT (was DSMSERV INSTALL in V2) to update the dsmserv.dsk
file, before you can run RESTOREDB.

In this case it doesn't matter if the db and log space is made up of
different size files than the original DB, or if the names are different,
just as long as the total available space is at least as large as when the
data base was backed up.

Hope this makes sense!

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert