ADSM-L

Re: ADSM API; admin client questions

1999-04-20 09:52:11
Subject: Re: ADSM API; admin client questions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:52:11 -0400
>Are we sending clear text passwords over the network if I run the
>admin client on my machine to update a node's password at the server?
>Any definitive information on this topic will be appreciated.

You can test this empirically by using a network monitor, inside the client
host or on the line.  Using an ADSMv2 AIX client I just ran an iptrace, did a
dsmadmc Update Node to change the password, then 'dsmc q sch' to cause the
password to be planted during a client-server interaction.  There was no sign
of clear-text password in the trace data (this on a quiet system so that no
trace data would be missed).

You can try something similar on your system for assurance.

     Richard Sims, BU