ADSM-L

Re: Tape Bad - Now what?

1999-04-19 12:38:33
Subject: Re: Tape Bad - Now what?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:38:33 -0400
I usually try a MOVE DATA first.
Depending on what type of tape drives you have, it isn't that uncommon to
have a situation where a tape that fails to read on one drive can still be
read by another.  If the MOVE DATA works, that is usually the fastest way.

But the answer to your second question is yes.  If the tape that is bad is
in the COPY pool, all you have to do is DELETE the volume and specify
DISCARDDATA=YES.  You can do this from the admin command line, or from the
admin GUI.  ADSM updates the data base to show that the files that were on
that tape no longer exist in the copy pool.

The next time you run BACKUP STGPOOL for the primary pool, ADSM will see
that those files need to have a copy made for the copy pool, and will copy
those files onto a new COPY pool tape.

(Note:  DELETE is NOT the proper step to take for a PRIMARY pool tape.  For
a primary tape the next step would be a RESTORE, not a DELETE.)

Or you can run the AUDIT.
AUDIT tries to read the tape and every time it gets and I/O errors and can't
read a file, it deletes that file's entry from the data base.  So it works,
but depending on the type of tape drive you have, it can take DAYS
(literally!) to run AUDIT a whole tape.
So in my case, it is usually faster to run the DELETE DISCARDDATA for a copy
pool tape, and let ADSM copy the data again, rather than do the audit.

So, you can accomplish the same thing whichever way works best for you.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert