ADSM-L

Re: Archive Loop on Sun Solaris

1999-04-15 08:03:47
Subject: Re: Archive Loop on Sun Solaris
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 08:03:47 -0400
>Although I consider the lack of an option not to follow symbolic links and
>archive
>links as links to be an ADSM shortcoming if not a bug, you may also want to
>question why you have that particular link.  A bin directory should only
>contain
>executables and scripts and not recursive links such as that one.

Recursive symbolic links are sometimes established to thwart those who start
'find' commands at "/" and thus consume a lot of system resources in an overly
broad search for a file.  It's partly a desperate ploy in that looping on such
a link itself consumes resources.
As a major package, ADSM should certainly have the ability to detect dead ends
when running a maze and take another course.
      Richard Sims, BU