ADSM-L

Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume

1999-04-14 12:00:49
Subject: Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:00:49 -0500
Environment:  ADSM server V2.1.0 on VM

We need to take back a couple of volumes of DASD from one of our ADSM server
stgpools.  The following is the process we followed:

1.  Move Data 0511
2.  Delete Volume 0511

We got the error message "Volume still contains data".  We then did:

1.  Audit volume 0511 discarddata=yes
2.  Delete volume 0511

We got the error message "Volume still contains data" AND one of the
ever-popular ANR9999D messages which said:  DFQRY(449) Missing row for
bitfile 0.29693264.

We tried a few more times to move the data, audit the volume and discard the
data, delete the volume, etc. and every time we got the missing row for
bitfile 0.29693264 message.

Has anybody ever seen this before?  Does anyone know what the "missing
row....." message means?  Does anybody have any suggestions as to how we can
get some of the these stgpool volumes back?  It's beginning to feel like some
kind of science fiction movie where the machine desperately tries to hold
onto it's life source while we are trying to rip it away.  Help - so far the
machine is winning.