ADSM-L

ADSM and 3570 MP

1999-04-14 05:24:16
Subject: ADSM and 3570 MP
From: Wassim Hossari <whossari AT KFSHHUB.KFSHRC.EDU DOT SA>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:24:16 +0300
Hi everyone:

We are  using ADSM 3.1.1.0 on IBM R50 machine running AIX 4.2.1 to
backup our network servers. Everything was going  smooth and well for a
long time until we decided to replace the 8mm tape drive with a Magstar
MP 3570 Tape Subsystem.  For the last four months after that
replacement, IBM CEs had been trying to fix all kind of errors that are
generated on daily bases by the 3570.  The advise that I am seeking from
any user that have experience with ADSM and the above mentioned tape
subsystem is the recommended block size setting for the 3570 tape
drives.  Ours now is set to "0" which means variable length block size.
Would that be O.K. or should it be set to some other value such as 512
or 1024.  I appreciate it if anybody would like to share any experience
with regard to dealing with errors generated by the 3570 MP as a tape
subsystem to ADSM.

regards,
Wassim Hossari
KFSH & RC