ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Connect Agent 1.1.00B

1999-04-13 16:09:11
Subject: Re: Exchange Connect Agent 1.1.00B
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:09:11 -0400
Nathan,

Along with the response that Chris sent, here are a few more thoughts...

> I applied the new version of the Agent to my Exchange Server and noticed
the
> following problems:
>
> I had Circular Logging disabled to support incremental backups.  I
observed
> that the INCR backups were ALL 32MB.  I thought this was strange.  After
> digging a little, I noticed that the Agent was not deleting the backed up
> transaction logs.

Each successful incremental (as well as full) backup that you run
the Exchange Agent will truncate the transaction logs.
When this happens, the Exchange Server will create a brand new
transaction log...regardless of how much space is used in the old
transaction log (the Agent doesn't control this, the Exchange Server does.)
So, what you are seeing is normal behavior when running incremental
backups.
Incremental backups will grow in size when the activity on the
Exchange server fills up more that one transaction log between incremental
backups.  I hope this helps.

> I then noticed that it had created two NEW filespaces on the ADSM server.
> deleted all the filespaces, then performed a FULL backup of the IS and
DIR
> to create new filespaces.  This worked.  I have not however performed an
> INCR backup since - I had turned Circular Logging on to prevent my disks
> from filling.
> I assume that the second issue is a result of the first.
> Has anyone else had this problem?
> Nathan J. Norrgard

Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development