ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Connect Agent 1.1.00B

1999-04-13 14:02:31
Subject: Re: Exchange Connect Agent 1.1.00B
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:02:31 -0400
Nathan,

>I had Circular Logging disabled to support incremental backups.  I
observed
>that the INCR backups were ALL 32MB.  I thought this was strange.  After
>digging a little, I noticed that the Agent was not deleting the backed up
>transaction logs.

I suspect you installed fixtest 1.1.0.0B over the GA version of the agent
and have never installed
1.1.0.0A before.  Fixtest B includes all the changes in fixtest A and among
those was a fix which
explains the symptoms you have seen.   This should have been clearly
indicated in the readme
file for fixtest B but unfortunately it was not (our apologies).  The new
filespaces were created as
a result of the fix for IC20843 described below.    Now that you have
erased all filespaces and done
a new FULL backup, you can resume using INCR backups as usual.  Note
however, that when you
switch off circular logging, you will need to start with another full
backup.

Here is the description of the changes that were part of fixtest A that are
also included in fixtest B:

 IC20843   - Problem when trying to back up and restore Exchange Servers
               that have "." (period), "," (comma), and/or "@" (at sign)
               within the Enterprise (Organization), Site, and/or
               Server name.  All embedded "." (periods) will now be
               translated to "_" (underscores) in the filespace names
               for the Exchange Agent on the ADSM Server.
               Commas and "@" (at signs) will now be handled correctly.

               NOTE: For customers who have already backed up their
                     Exchange databases with the GA version of the
                     Exchange Agent and have periods (".") within
                     their Enterprise, Site, or Server names...

                     In order for you to restore or delete backups
                     that were created PRIOR to the installation of
                     this fixtest, you MUST rename the filespaces by
                     replacing the periods with underscores ("_").
                     ONLY REPLACE THE PERIODS THAT WERE PART OF THE
                     OF THE ENTERPRISE, SITE, OR SERVER NAMES AND NOT
                     THE PERIODS USED AS SEPARATORS. For example:

                     Enterprise Name:  COMPANY,INC.
                     Site Name:        SITE14
                     Server Name:      SERVER.A

                     OLD IS filespace would be:
                       "COMPANY,INC..SITE14.SERVER.A.IS"

                     The command would be (this is one command):

                       RENAME FILESPACE "COMPANY,INC..SITE14.SERVER.A.IS"
                                        "COMPANY,INC_.SITE14.SERVER_A.IS"

                     NEW IS filespace would be:
                       "COMPANY,INC_.SITE14.SERVER_A.IS"

                     You must do this BEFORE running another backup or
                     the RENAME FILESPACE command will fail since the
                     new filespace will already exist.

   Misc.     - You no longer have to be running as the Exchange Site
Service
               Account in order to perform backup or restores.
               You MUST be running as a member of the Administrator
               group for the local server machine or you must be running
               under a userid with Read/Write access to the local registry.

   Misc.     - Exchange Server backups that are > 4G display their size
               incorrectly with the "EXCDSMC /ADSMQUERYDB" command and on
               the GUI backup history list.

The fixtest package will be refreshed to update the readme file to include
this info.

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com