ADSM-L

Re: Don't want to backup remote filesystems

1999-04-09 09:38:36
Subject: Re: Don't want to backup remote filesystems
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:38:36 -0400
>As a University Computing Center, we have an operating budget
>and don't need a charge-back system to cover the cost of running ADSM.
>However, we expect our users not to abuse their privileges.

Another approach to dealing with unruly client nodes might be to enforce
what amount to "storage quotas".  That is, you would not be charging
users, but limiting them according to agreed-to limits.  This could be
achieved by having a mechanism which literally or effectively performs
'Query Occupancy' and/or 'Query Auditoccupancy' to see how much clients
have stored.  You can do a 'Cancel Session' on the unruly, or even do
a 'Lock Node', and send them mail about their behavior.

You can establish a site policy that file systems should not be backed up
from NFS clients (they will be done from the NFS server).  Violators can be
detected in a ADSM server 'Query Filespace' command (Filespace Type),
whereupon you could delete the filespace outright or rename it for X days
before deleting it, with warning mail to the perpetrator, and a final
'Lock Node' if no compliance.

Various schemes abound, depending upon your imagination.

   Richard Sims, BU