ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:44:48
Don Schmeichel wrote:
>We want to restore just the directory names, because the OS needs them.
>We are not concerned about the files in the directories.  We are testing
>this to see if we can successfully restore the OS in a disaster
>scenario.  In our first test, the OS complained during boot about
>missing the /proc filesystem after a full restore.  Apparently ADSM
>doesn't restore the directory names of directories that are empty.  We
>are trying to figure out if there is a way to get ADSM to do this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that it wasn't possible to do a 'cold
metal'
restore of Sun systems solely with ADSM. AFAIK, the two methods available,
(assuming you're not netbooting or anything clever like that) are:

1. Install and configure base Solaris system from original CD, add ADSM
software,
configure both and then restore (everything?) - being really careful with the
/dev
and /devices directories.

2. Create a minimal restore tape with /, /usr, /var (?) and /opt (or at least
the ADSM
part). Miniroot boot with the original Solaris CD and then restore the tape.
After the
tape is restored, and you've added a boot record to your chosen boot disk,
reboot
using the data just restored. Then use ADSM to restore everything other than
the file-
systems on the tape!

In either case both /proc and /tmp are created to the satisfaction of Solaris.
BTW if
there IS a better way than either 1 or 2 above, I'd be really interested to
here since
we're in the process of revising our D.R. manual.

Robert Cross, Systems Programmer, Scottish & Newcastle plc.

--Boundary_(ID_l6BcL+kU/wo9lIrYbiVPpA)--