ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:44:48
Hi, we have a customer experiencing some restore problem on Novell Netware 3.12.
We also use Novell 4.11 inhouse and have seen some of  these same issues.
Does anyone have any comments / suggestions with the following...

The main issue seems to be the size of any one restore that will work without
seeming
to hang. Connected to this is a general question of restore performance (Yes,
that old one!).

The only stuff I found on the list server with any details dates back to
1994/5. Are any of these
comments still valid...?

 "Because ADSM builds an image of the directory structure in short term memory,
my
guess is you're running into short term memory constraints"

"Bump up the short term memory allocation as much as possible on the server the
restore is initiated from (Netware 3.11 is limited to 16MB, Netware 3.12 is
32MB)"

"Depending on the size of the file structure, you might not be able to
do a restore in one pass - you might have to split it up.  I know it's a bit
kludgy but haven't been able to find a way around this. Easiest way I've found
do this is to issue the following command from the DSMC prompt
           -QUERY BACKUP   <volname goes here>:* -dirsonly
This will list all the directories off of the root. Then it's just a matter of
restoring each
directory individually. Don't forget to include the -volinfo parameter (and, of
course,
the -subdir parm) on the restore if you want to restore the volume restrictions
(trustee directory assignments for the root directory of a volume, volume or
disk
space restrictions, etc.)."

Ian Wilkes : ADSM Consultant
Phoenix Systems Group