ADSM-L

Re: ***Nohup hang up!!

1999-03-31 09:02:01
Subject: Re: ***Nohup hang up!!
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:02:01 -0500
I believe that what's actually happening here is that there is some error
and no place to write the error message.  Notice that in the original note,
only stdout was redirected to /dev/null.  stderr was not redirected.  Some
error occurred, and the process blocked until it could get access to the
terminal.  True nohup processes have to be completely disconnected from any
terminals.

1) If you are using a version 3 client, define ERRORLOGNAME to point to a
   file that the dsmc scheduler can write.  For sanity, also define
   ERRORLOGRETENTION to get rid of entries that are more than some number
   of days old.  I use 7 or 14, typically.

2) In addition to redirecting stdout (since all those messages go to
   SCHEDLOGNAME anyway), also redirect stderr.  In Bourne and Korn shells,
   this is done with the incantation "2>&1", which sends stderr to the
   same place as stdout.  Occasionally, I will use another spell to send
   stderr to a file, "2> file", but it doesn't seem to matter much.

3) I find that the whole nohup process (on our Solaris 2.6 boxes anyway)
   seems to run more cleanly if I have "at" do it, as follows:

# at now <<EOF
nohup /usr/bin/dsmc schedule > /dev/null 2>&1 &
EOF

4) Of course, I also put the incantation into /etc/inittab to cause the
   scheduler to startup at system boot.

adsm::once:/usr/bin/dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1 # ADSM scheduler

Hope this helps,
Rich